$3,500 in Cash Prizes to be Awarded!
EcoSikh is pleased to announce that it is taking another step forward and partnering with SikhNet for the 2016 Film Festival. The theme for the festival is Mata Dharat (Mother Earth) based on the Environment and the future of our planet. EcoSikh is proud to continue with the vision of “Pavan Guru, Pani pita, Maata Dharat mahat”, and thus honoring our Guru’s wisdom by believing that all humans have an intrinsic sensitivity to the natural world, and that a sustainable, more just society is possible, where water, air , land, forests and biodiversity remain vibrant, living systems for our generation and future generations
EcoSikh has gladly joined SikhNet to support them in this great event. A member from EcoSikh will also serve as a judge for the prize competition.
As researched and polled by 97% of scientists, carbon pollution is intensifying man-made global climate change. The population is getting larger and our current practices of using fossil fuels are suffocating us. Some of the issues that affect Sikhs in Punjab right now are: smog, the decreasing water table, the farming crisis, pesticides, energy use, lack of mass transit, overpopulation, burning of garbage and many more. As per the recent report by World Health Organization (WHO), Patna (birthplace of Guru Gobind Singh ji) has been ranked as the 6th most polluted city and Amritsar, the 14th most polluted city in the world!
EcoSikh and SikhNet feel that this problem is getting so big that as Sikhs we must pay attention to it now. Here’s the chance to shine a light on these issues and on the work being done to help save our planet.
Categories for the film festival are as below:
- Real or fictional dramas about how the environment is impacting us personally
- Punjab – education and solutions
- How to decrease the smog in Punjab/India
- Guru Har Rai Ji’s role as a conservator, healer and lover of nature
- Films about people making a difference with the environment – real or fictional
- Sci-fi enacting how good/bad the environment will be in the future
- Nature according to Gurbani
- How your Gurdwara/Community/Family/Friends and yourself can help the environment
- Research/Documentary about environmental issues
- Research/Documentary about environmental solutions
- How each of us individually impacts the environment & things we can do about it
- Activism – making real change
- The use of disposables (especially styrofoam) for Langars and Nagar Kirtans
- Organic foods and Langars
Since this topic is science-based, it is not mandatory to make a documentary. A good film needs a story. The environmental issues provide a problem that any character can struggle with, and that is the foundation for a good dramatic film. Make a film that brings awareness or inspires action. Most importantly it has to make the viewer feel something.
Deadline: August 31, 2016
Intermediate (age 18-28)
– THREE winners will receive $1,000 each
Junior (age 11-17)
– TOP FILM will receive $500
– Certificate of Achievement
For further details visit: www.SikhNet.com/FilmFestival.
Here are some great YouTube Videos to help you get started right away.
How to make a video
How to write a Screenplay
For more filming tips click here